Articles on this Page
- 07/27/13--03:38: _getting started wit...
- 07/27/13--06:59: _empowering content ...
- 10/13/13--12:25: _rails 4 with mongod...
- 10/19/13--20:41: _rails 4 twitter omn...
- 01/18/14--11:23: _rspec: mixing trans...
- 01/19/14--19:08: _ruby to find latitu...
- 04/26/14--08:24: _jekyll dektop app w...
- 07/27/14--18:53: _time tracking with ...
- 08/09/14--18:22: _rspec 3 upgrade: co...
- 08/27/14--21:11: _simple test first e...
- 07/27/13--03:38: getting started with drupal
- 07/27/13--06:59: empowering content creators with drupal
- 10/13/13--12:25: rails 4 with mongodb on osx
- 10/19/13--20:41: rails 4 twitter omniauth with mongodb
- 01/19/14--19:08: ruby to find latitude/longitude for a list of cities
- 04/26/14--08:24: jekyll dektop app with node-webkit on osx
- 07/27/14--18:53: time tracking with google calendar
- 08/09/14--18:22: rspec 3 upgrade: conversion of should to expect
- 08/27/14--21:11: simple test first express setup & tutorial
Emeline Glynn and Anthony Glynn gave a helpful talk called “How to teach anyone Drupal in 7 months.” The timeline was based on their experience where Anthony, an experience Drupal developer, taught Emeline remotely over a period of 7 months, to the point that she is now working professionally as a Drupal developer. Slides [...]
Bryan Braun (@bryanebraun) gave a refreshingly opinionated talk Empowering Content Creators with Drupal. Coming directly from the Ruby and Rails communities where a core value is to articulate best practices, it is great to see this kind of guidance from a member of the Drupal community. (slides here)
Bryan referred to a blog post by Dilbert [...]
This post covers getting started with Rails 4 and Mongodb, using the Mongoid gem. As part of getting up to speed, I enjoyed reading Rails + Mongo take on the object-relational mismatch by Emily Stolfo from MongoDB.
For starters, here’s a how to create a super simple toy app. I assume Ruby [...]
If you are brand new to MongoDB and Rails 4, take a quick look at my very basic rails 4 mongodb tutorial before diving into this one.
Gems: mongoid, omniauth, figaro
Let’s get started
Make sure you have Rails 4 (rails -v). We’ll make a Rails app skipping test-unit (-T), since I prefer RSpec, and omitting ActiveRecord [...]
The post rspec: mixing transcations and truncation database clearner strategies appeared first on the evolving ultrasaurus.
I have a relatively short list of cities which I want to plot on a world map. The list is a little too long for a manual lookup, but I don’t know exactly how I’ll use it in an app, so I figured out how to do it with some simple ruby in irb using… Continue reading
The post ruby to find latitude/longitude for a list of cities appeared first on the evolving ultrasaurus.
I had an idea this morning that I could make a simple desktop app by combining the lightning-fast website generation capabilities of jekyll with the awesome Node-Webkit that lets us native wrappers for HTML5 apps. I checked out this nice intro to Node-Webkit, and unsurprisingly ran into a few gotchas, documented below for other adventurer… Continue reading
I just created a very lightweight time tracking system where we can use a Google Calendar to track who does what when and then get a spreadsheet that shows all of the hours worked by individuals. It goes with a spreadsheet where the first row has a header like this: Date Meeting Sarah Paul Glen… Continue reading
update: follow the rspec upgrade guide and try the transpec gem Upgrading a Rails app to RSpec 3, I appreciated Jake Boxer’s guide. However, his regular expressions didn’t work in the editors I use, so I whipped up some command-line options that use the flexible unix utility sed. If you want to actually understand the… Continue reading
It has been surprisingly hard to find a very simple tutorial to get started with Express, along with some common helpful tools, including tests! Here’s a little tutorial for Node.js v0.10 and Express 4. I’m learning Express, since I’m working on an app in SailsJS, so I will pick options that mirror choices made by… Continue reading